This is the team workout for today, 9/15/16 that the CUW Women's team did. It's called Goal 50's, I forget where I first saw it done but it's something that has stuck with me and I'll bring out of the bag of tricks every so often.
The set is 30x50 on 1:00. The kicker is you set a goal time, something fairly aggressive that won't be hard to hit initially, but on the back half you'll be doing some work! Ideally if there's a coach on deck they can set the time for you if you've been swimming with for a while. Or y'all can be new still and guess way over their goal times and the team sets it up and crushes it down.
- The Warm up: Done in wetsuits to prep for the race this weekend.
4x100 Desc 1-4 on 15" rest
6x50 on 10" rest
- #1: Fast
- #2&3: Easy (repeat for 4-6).
- Get out of your wetsuit once the warm up is done, then swim an easy 100 to get moving again.
Main Set: I had three different sets/times going for the different skill levels.
- 30x50 on 1:00 (Girls were hitting 41-44" on these)
- 30x50 on 1:10 (These girls were swimming 52-55")
- 20x50 on 1:30 (She surprised me and went sub 1:00 on all of them when I thought she'd be 1:05. She crushed it and now I need to make new intervals for her).
300 easy, then we spend some time on open water drills. The ankle pull down, the hip cross over, and throwing bows.
It was a great set today and everyone did better than I expected to, which is always a good thing!