Friday, September 16, 2016

Eating, Sleeping, and working out - The struggle is real


This is by far one of my favorite meme's in all the world and it nailed what my daily struggle is. In order to be healthy you should eat in a healthy manner (none of which is really quick by the way), get 8 hours of sleep a night, and exercise! Sounds simple right? Far from it, but it can be done, but I'm far from mastering it.

The past few weeks have been a really tough struggle for me on most of those fronts:
- Exercise: Luckily I now get to ride bikes with my team, so that's roughly 3 rides a week which is 3 more than I was getting in two months ago. Swimming is the same, I swim twice a week before coaching practice, but most of the reason I show up is to make sure the 3-4 girls who can't swim with the team show up! Running has taken the hardest hit, I ran twice this week for a total of 40 minutes. Strength training... huh?
- Sleeping: Staying up till 10pm working on homework then waking up at 4:45am is a rough go. Usually I won't go to bed till 11pm after shutting everything down and calming the mind enough to sleep.
- Eating well: I've had Kraft Mac n' Cheese twice for dinner this week and I've had pizza today, only pizza, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

This isn't a "woe is me" style post, I'm just showing you how I've been running myself into a wall recently and without my normal Sunday to prep food for the week, I eat whatever is quick and easy vs semi healthy and better for me.

How am I going to fix this?!?! Good question, here are some tips!

- Exercise: Put it in my calendar as a scheduled meeting, but be sure to leave time for showering and eating post workout, I tend to forget those aspects and it comes back to bite me in the butt. I'll do Strength on Mon and Wed nights (Mon I don't workout with the team, I just coach and Wed we don't have a PM workout) so I'll be able to go to Anytime Fitness and get swoll. I also need to start using that KB at my desk, every time I come/go I need to be doing 10 swings, but it's easy to forget, so I have to make it less easy and annoying till I start doing it.
- Sleeping: Fortunately and unfortunately my girlfriend will be out of town for the next three weeks. Actually the past few weeks we've hung out earlier so I can start getting ready for bed at 9pm and getting to bed early. Now with her traveling we'll have to figure out times to FaceTime and talk, which might mean later nights, but obviously it's a worthwhile investment (see how I used "investment" instead of "sacrifice"). This past week has been later nights due to working on my MBA 511 homework (my own fault for procrastination), but I'll be done with this class after this weekend and able to turn off my laptop earlier.
**Key tricks: Get in a habit, listen to the same music before bed (Trampled by Turtles on Pandora), turn off all screens 30-60min before I want to be asleep, pack up for the next day and make sure I have everything I need PLUS everything I need to do tomorrow written down and out of my head, and finally do some breathing exercises or reading (paper not kindle) to help slow things down and get my body ready for sleep.
- Eating: This is the hardest part for me. Breakfast has been a struggle since I coach on deck right after working out. I need to find a portable breakfast that's healthy and won't spoil if not  kept cold. Lunch is always in the Cafe but I need to stay away from the pizza and fried foods, the allergy station usually has some really good stuff. Dinner I need to make/create time and have making dinners in a crock pot a priority. Those are simple and really good, I can get a load of recipes from Pinterest.

Exercise daily, Get 7-8 hours of sleep, and eat better than having boxed mac n' cheese, pizza, and banana and nutella sandwiches. That's the plan, now I just have to map out my week so it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment